Have you ever wanted to work with the actors, directors and core staff of a professional theatre company? This is your chance. WEST students work with Santa Cruz Shakespeare Core Artists and Guest Instructors in the study of theatre to a professional standard.
WEST Acting Conservatories are open to all students ages 14-21 years old with a sincere desire to learn the craft of theatre to high standard of excellence. The nature of a conservatory is intensive–students are engaged in activity every moment of their scheduled time. To achieve excellence, attendance and participation in all classes is mandatory. Please check your calendars carefully before committing to this class.
* Patty Gallagher (Ross), Toby Onwumere (Macduff), and Sierra Jolene (Malcolm) in Santa Cruz Shakespeare’s Macbeth by William Shakespeare. Photo by rr jones.
Although the program varies each year due to artist schedules, typical schedule includes:
- Shakespearean script analysis
- Classical acting
- Movement for the stage
- Vocal technique
- Stage combat
- Students host a concluding showcase at the end of the two week session.
In addition to coursework,students students have an opportunity to
- Attend each of the Santa Cruz Shakespeare professional productions productions
- Participate in pre-show discourse with the dramaturges and post-show discussion with the company members and actors
- Ages: 14-21*
- Time: 10am – 5pm
- Class Dates: July 31 – August 11 (Monday – Friday)
- Location: T.B.A.**
- Cost: $ 895 (includes tickets to optional SC Shakes performances)
You must be available for all days and times including the showcase to register for this class.
*Current Page To Stage & West Ensemble Players members are welcome to register regardless of age requirement
**We are seeking a downtown or central Santa Cruz location for this conservatory and will notify students of the location as soon as it is settled.